The nose is one of the defining features of the face, which is why many people seek to change the shape, size, or position of their nose to achieve a better look. Rhinoplasty, plastic surgery on the nose, can be done to achieve facial harmony and improve overall appearance. Before undergoing this major surgery, you need to be prepared for the procedure, and more importantly, its recovery.
Here are some tips to make for a smoother and comfortable recovery:
- Minimize swelling by keeping the head elevated. When lying down, elevate the head by placing two pillows underneath it.
- As with any other surgical procedure, bruising can be expected after rhinoplasty. Apply cold compresses to reduce the bruising in the area. Bruising usually dissipates after a week.
- There may be some pain, but it is relatively rare. There will likely be a feeling of pressure, causing a tight sensation in the treated area. Alleviate this discomfort by taking pain medications prescribed by Dr. Wallach.
- Because a patient may be lightheaded and weak after the procedure, he or she will be prohibited from driving home or performing certain tasks while under the influence of anesthesia medications. The medication may also cause insomnia the first night.
- To clean the exterior part of the nose, use a cotton-tipped swab moistened with hydrogen peroxide. Do this gently, as rubbing vigorously can sabotage the results of your nose surgery.
Rhinoplasty in New York, NY
Dr. Wallach has extensive experience performing rhinoplasty. If you’re interested in changing the look of your nose, request a consultation today by calling 212-861-6400.