It looks like there is more to premature aging than the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. The New England Journal of Medicine published an interesting case last year wherein a 69-year old truck driver suffered from unilateral dermatoheliosis — a condition wherein only one part of the face suffers from overexposure to ultraviolet rays. Here at our New York plastic surgery practice, we not only care about the appearance of your skin, we also make it a point to educate our clients of the disastrous health effects of unprotected sun exposure.
But I Need My Vitamin D!
You do not have to completely shun the sun. It’s a matter of balance and having an understanding of the relationship between sun exposure and your Vitamin D requirements.
First of all, you need to figure out if you’re Vitamin D deficient. You can learn more about that in this post. By and large, experts agree that you need to have at least 15 to 30 minutes of unprotected exposure to sunlight 2 to 4 times a week. Afterwards, it is crucial that you protect yourself with sunscreen.
You might also want to take note that apart from the sun, other rich sources of Vitamin D include egg yolks, berries, salmon, tuna, and sun-ripened mushrooms. Below is a list of tips on how to outrun the sun for that youthful and wrinkle-free face!
1. Consider wearing sunscreen with a sun protective factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, particularly if you’re sweating or swimming a lot. Also, check your sunscreen’s
2. Stay out of the sun when its harmful rays are the strongest — 10 am to 4 pm.
3. Avoid tanning beds at all costs. It has been shown that tanning bed users increase their chances of having melanoma by 75 percent.
4. Wear sunglasses and protective clothing.
5. Load up on foods which protect you from the damaging effects of the sun such as yellow and dark green fruits and vegetables.
New York Facial Rejuvenation Procedures
While an excellent diet concentrating on whole foods rather than processed sources will help you prevent the damaging effects of the sun, a Manhattan facelift will certainly help you safely restore your youthful appearance once the wrinkles set in.
To schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Wallach for your Manhattan plastic surgery inquiries, call us at 212-861-6400 or fill out this appointment request form. We look forward to your visit!