Congratulations on your newly-shaped ears! Now that you have made the right choice of changing the look of your ears for the better, it is time to focus on your recovery. Now that your doctor’s main role is over, it is your turn to take control over the success of your otoplasty — that is, getting through your recovery.
Important Things to Expect
It is vital for otoplasty patients to know that the appearance of their ears will change throughout the recovery period, which is immediately after their operation until the time that their ears have completely healed. Right after the procedure, the ears can appear bruised and swollen, but this will gradually subside as time passes. It is important for you to know that the ears may not instantly appear the way you want them to. Don’t fret; as they say, good things come to those who wait.
Effective Tips to Get You Through
Recovery can be a tricky process. There are certain instructions that have to be religiously followed in order to achieve the results you desire.
- Avoid activities that could impact your ears before they are completely healed. It is all the more important to follow this tip if it is your child who had ear surgery.
- Avoid washing the hair and shampooing it up to a week following your otoplasty. Bending over can affect the surgical wounds and may promote bleeding.
- Minimize swelling by keeping the head elevated, especially while sleeping or resting. Sleeping with several comfy pillows under the head will keep your head uplifted just fine. However, remember to avoid sleeping on the sides to avoid any damage to the treated sites.
- Alleviate any pain and discomfort by taking prescribed pain medications.
- Give your surgeon a call right away for any complications or if symptoms persist over their usual period.
Otoplasty (Ear Surgery) in Manhattan
For more information on otoplasty and how you can promote proper healing after the procedure, give us a call today at 212-861-6400 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Wallach. You may also email Dr. Wallach by filling out this online form.