Breast Sagging and Mastopexy

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

It’s quite common for adult women to wish to modify the shape of their breasts through surgery in order to feel rejuvenated. One of the most popular procedures for this is breast-lifting –also called Mastopexy.

Breasts do, in some cases, can become saggy in a very short period of time. Some may perceive breast sagging as a sign of aging, and even take the sagging very seriously in some cases, despite how common and completely natural, sagging is.   

Generally, breast sagging starts to take place in women who have been pregnant. During pregnancy, breasts increase gradually in size as lactation approaches. Once the baby’s lactation period is over, breasts will often involutes, similarly to the way an air balloon loses pressure. Breast sagging can also be due to weight changes, through a process similar to that explained above.

Mastopexy is the process of correcting breast sagging. Dr. Wallach will consider the following factors when performing a mastopexy:

Whether there is breast skin to remove


Skin tends to hang from below and the sides after breast sagging takes place.

Position of the breast nipple

Doctors need to consider the position the breast nipple will have to be placed in order to give the woman’s breasts an aesthetically pleasant look.

Tissue to remove

In most cases extra tissue needs to be removed in order to fix sagging breasts into place.

Volume to modify

The patient might want to add breast volume or to reduce it.

Steven Wallach MD

Steven Wallach MD

Dr. Wallach is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York City who specializes in performing cosmetic procedures of the face, breast and body. As one of the cutting edge experts in the field, Dr. Wallach consults on a regular basis with people in the beauty, media, and publishing worlds.

Meet Dr. Wallach

More to explorer

5 Common Questions About Getting a Facelift

Facelift procedures are notably popular for numerous reasons. Maybe you’ve been noticing a certain unattractive droop in your chin? Perhaps your cheeks